Monday, April 6, 2015

The Dome (VT): 4/6/2015

Mileage: 6.65
Elevation gain: 1920'
Trails used: Broad Brook Trail, Agawon Trail, The Dome Trail, bushwhack.


I took Monday and Tuesday off to hike although the initial weather outlook didn't look to promising.  The forecast called for rain showers and partial sun.  I actually lucked out for the most part as I decided to do some information gathering and head into southern Vermont to do a hike or two.

The Dome is located in Pownal, Vermont which is right over the border from Williamstown, Massachusetts.  My original plan was to hike up to the an old woods road that connects with the Long Trail/Appalachian Trail and then backtrack and possibly bushwhack my way up to The Dome.  Due to the first water crossing, my plans were derailed.  So I did what Brian and I do best:  I went with whatever the trails/woods gave me.



The blue blazed Broad Brook Trailhead and parking area are off of White Oaks Road.


The initial part of the Broad Brook Trail was a mixture of snow, ice and bare ground.  I put on my microspikes at this point.


There's not much elevation gain on the Broad Brook Trail early on but there was a few stretches of up where the ice was annoying.


Shortly before reaching the junction of the Agawon Trail, I had to cross Broad Brook which was no easy task with the melting snow and higher water flowing.  So instead of crossing the brook yet again, I opted to take this trail up to The Dome Trail.


The yellow blazed Agawon Trail has quite a few switchbacks, and in several sections, is fairly steep.  At least there wasn't much snow to deal with.


Eventually you reach the red blazed The Dome Trail, which runs the ridge north to the summit.  The trail seemed like it was some sort of old woods road due to the width.  It was also a stream in spot due to the melting snow.


Someone had hiked a day or two ahead of me and it was clear with their postholes.  If you look closely, you can see thousands and thousands of snowfleas. 


As you near the summit of The Dome, the trail runs through this spruce-fir area. 


The summit area for The Dome (elevation 2748').   I thought there might be a higher point to the north side of the summit ridge so I bushwhacked over.  The trees on the summit obstruct any chance for views sadly.


The snow was soft and knee to waist deep still in spots so it was tiring to walk the summit.  I found a blue blazed trail that crossed through but from where and to where, I have no clue.


Back to the recognized summit for The Dome, I decided to follow my tracks back and head down The Dome Trail to see where it starts.


Not sure how I missed this chair and loveseat combo out here in the woods on my way up but i definitely noticed it on the way down.  It right next to a short stretch of a snowmobile trail that you walk along.


As I was heading back to the car, I got this view of Mount Greylock through the trees.


This section of The Dome Trail was pretty straight forward and through nice open woods.  The snow will hopefully be gone soon.


The beginning of The Dome Trail.  There is a chain between the two trees to keep ATVs and bikes out, but to little avail it looks like.  


Walking back to the car along White Oaks Road, I came across this old dam and the water was flowing mightily through it today.


No rain, no snow and some sunshine today.  Plus it was in the 50's so it was t-shirt weather for most of the hike.  If you like nice walks in the woods, this hike is for you.  If you desire views, you'll need to look elsewhere.  I managed to see how much snow is still hanging around (2-3 feet in most shaded spots) but there was enough bare ground to make this a tolerable hike today.  The only other negative about today was the long drive from New Hampshire.   

No comments:

Post a Comment