Saturday, April 4, 2015

Bean Hill (Northfield): 4/4/2015

Mileage: 4.0
Elevation gain: 960'
Trails used: snowmobile trail, XC bike trails.


The weather for Saturday called for some sun but high winds but I still planned on getting a hike in.  I really didn't feel like driving up north where the weather was going to be snow and bad driving conditions so I decided to stay farther south of the White Mountains as I could.  So, since I am working on a certain list, I decided it was time to work on finishing some peaks that I had left to do.

Bean Hill is located in Northfield, New Hampshire.  Bean Hill was formerly a ski area but is now best known for the Highland Mountain Bike Park .  For information on the ski area, click on the link.


I parked at the Moose Tracks Trail (XC bike trail) off of Highland Mountain Road and took it until it joined with a snowmobile trail.


While walking along the snowmobile trail, I was startled to hear some noise in the snow near me and saw this porcupine ambling along.  Good thing they have poor eyesight as I was less than 15 feet from him.



The water was flowing nicely today as it has been warmer lately.  Today though, it was sunny but on the cooler side and very windy.


The bike park is really interesting.  There are several different named bike trails to use so it was just a matter of figuring out which ones to use or not to use.


One of the XC bike trails that connects with Doctors Orders.  It was around here that I came across one of two 


A communications tower on the lower summit area of Bean Hill and the former ski area is home to the bike park currently


The high point area, complete with memorial plaque of Bean Hill (elevation 1510').  There is another bump near-by with roughly the same elevation.


Looking towards a few of the Belknap Range peaks from the summit of Bean Hill.  


Heading back down through an old logging area.  The snow through here was a bit deeper and soft so it made the hike down a bit slower.


This one is a nice hike with a few views, especially with no leaves on the tree at this time of year.  It was also tough to do as there are some trespassing issues but there is a possible trail coming from the south, but it could also be a XC bike trail.  So keep that in mind if you try this peak; otherwise, bring your bike along, buy a pass and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment