Thursday, May 1, 2014

Rowes Hill: 5/1/2014

Mileage: 4.10
Elevation gain: 1165'
Trails Used: Knights Hill Trail, bushwhack.


I managed to get off of work early so I decided to go for a quick hike since the clouds parted and the sun was out.  A quick look at the gazetteer and I had my peak picked out: Rowes Hill in Bradford, New Hampshire.  I first wanted to do this peak from the Rowe Mountain Road side (class 6 road) but there is a house where you need to park your car and I didn't feel comfortable going up to the door to ask for permission.

Rowes Hill is located in Low State Forest (see below for the sign in one of the pictures for information on this area).  Knights Hill is also located in the Low State Forest.  Both peaks are trail-less which means a bushwhack to reach their respective summits.


All pictures for this hike were taken with my cell phone camera.  My usual camera's battery was dead and I didn't recharge it before this hike.



The Knights Hill Trail off of Dunfield Road.  It's an old logging road which is used by snowmobiles in winter.


The road was very muddy and wet for pretty much the whole duration I walked on it.


 One of the few views from the logging road looking to the south.


At about .5 miles, the trail turns right and goes across an old logging cut and into the woods where it continues on to Rowe Mountain Road.


Knights Hill Trail continues up through this nice birch area, but there was more water on this section than the logging road.  I also noticed moose tracks, and there was moose, bear and coyote scat along it.


Several minor summits along the way were pretty much like this, a little scrappy but nothing too bad to walk through.


The whole bushwhack was open woods, perfect for deer and moose to roam in.  Lots of places for them to eat and bed down in.


The wooded, view-less summit area for Rowes Hill (elevation 1950').  


A little information on Low State Forest along the trail.


Another section of the Knights Hill Trail.  I saw fresh bear scat here so I hurried my pace a bit more, just in case.


I even came across an old logging cut with views.  


One of the "mowed" areas.  Loggers seem to have a sense of humor since most of the boulders in the picture were placed on top of one another.


Nice run out after work.  Weather was nice, temperature-wise but the bugs were out (black flies, mosquitoes and i saw a deer fly or two already.  Nothing biting though).   As the days get longer, I should be able to get off work and do some more hikes which will help in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment