Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Bald Sunapee: 5/14/2014

Mileage: 1.35
Elevation gain: 680'
Trails used: none.  bushwhack.


Since it was spring, this was going to be another after work hike on Wednesday.  I have been eyeing this one for quite some time.  There wasn't much info I found online so I looked at the map and decided where exactly I wanted to try my approach.

Bald Sunapee is located in Newbury, New Hampshire.  There is a private trail but I have read that one can hike it, provided they know where it starts and ends.  Otherwise, this would be a buswhack through mostly open woods to the summit.



This is where I went into the woods right off of Mountain Road.  The woods were pretty much like this the whole way up.  I even crossed an old logging road or two on the ascent. 


This was probably the thickest woods of the hike and these aren't even that bad.


I started to approach some steep ledges with a few small caves in this area.


On the ridge, it was almost trail-like, which you can almost make out in the bottom center of the picture.  You really can't complain about hikes like this.


The views from the clear cut/blow down area near the summit.


Holy open blow down field, Batman!


Panorama of the views.


Wet area on the summit plateau.  There was recent moose activity here.


The wooded summit area of Bald Sunapee (elevation 2070').


I came across this wood bridge on the way down that abuts someones property.  There were white blazes on some tree's with a private trail but I didn't follow it for too long,


Really short road walk back to Cindy and it was over quickly.


Nice short hike through open woods.  The black flies were out in force so it was nice to get back in the car, even though i had plenty of bug spray on.  Spring time is here for sure!  As an FYI, there are some private trails that apparently you can use on this mountain but please respect the property like always.

No comments:

Post a Comment