Thursday, November 20, 2014

Catalouchee Mountain-North Peak * Mount Tug: 11/20/2014

Mileage: 8.0 miles
Elevation gain: 1735 feet
Trails used: none. road walk, bushwhack.
Highlight(s): views from the summit of Mount Tug.


Since I had the week off from work, this would be day two of hiking for me. I decided to head back up to the area to the west around Mount Cardigan (I hiked some peaks to the east of Cardigan the day before). There are plenty of peaks in this area to keep you busy for a good while. I have been in this area three time before so I was always curious what was further down New Colony Road (I have only ever been as far as the pond). I drove as far as I could on New Colony Road, where I parked off of the road and geared up.

Catalouchee Mountain-North Peak and Mount Tug are located in Orange, New Hampshire. Catalouchee Mountain-North Peak and Mount Tug are trail-less which means it requires a bushwhack and various old logging/woods roads to reach their respective summits. There are no views from the wooded summit of Catalouchee Mountain-North Peak. Mount Tug has nice views from its summit but *THIS IS PRIVATE PROPERTY SO PLEASE OBTAIN PERMISSION FIRST*.



I parked my car and started my hike by walking down the Orange Cove Trail, which is a continuation of New Colony Road.


The two summits of Catalouchee Mountain, which I had done twice before about two years ago.


Due to recent logging in the past few years, you can now get some nice views from the side of the logging road such as this one looking towards Mowglis Mountain.


Even more views north from the same logging area. You can see someone was actually brave enough to drive down this road.


After a roughly 1.8 mile road walk, I decided to head into the woods to begin my bushwhack up to the summit of Catalouchee Mountain-North Peak.


These woods were probably as thick as they would be for the entire hike on the way to the summit of Catalouchee Mountain-North Peak.  


The summit of North Catalouchee Mountain (elevation: 2338 feet) is very bumpy so it is tough figuring out which area is the high point.


I decided to head off the west side and down to Kimball Road, which is an old logging road that is also used by snowmobiles and other vehicles as evidenced by the recent tracks.


Please note, that before I begin this next section, this next hike was done without knowledge beforehand of any property/no trespassing issues.  Please do not attempt this hike unless you obtain permission first!!!


I bushwhacked straight up to the summit of Mount Tug (elevation: 2339 feet) through open woods from Kimball Road. There is a seasonal house up here which did not appear to be occupied at the time.


 There were decent views but I didn't stay long as it was very windy and cold.


There is even an observation tower on the summit which I did not attempt to climb, although the views from it are probably 360.


Views looking towards Carr Mountain with the Tenney Mountain wind turbines barely visible.


Mount Cardigan from the summit of Mount Tug, with Mount Kearsarge in the background.


A zoomed in picture of Mount Cardigan. You can barely see the fire tower on its summit.


Walking down a woods road with Mount Cardigan in the view.


There was some sort of foundation in the woods while I was walking back to the car along Number Seven Brook. Perhaps an old mill of some sort, or logging camp?


A tough 8 mile day of hiking, only because of the ice and measurable snow in the higher elevations and the fact that I did not bring any sort of traction for the conditions. While the first hike has no real redeemable qualities i.e views, it was a nice open woods walk. The second hike, if I had known about the property issues, I would not have visited this particular peak.  Please respect this private property and DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS unless you can somehow obtain permission first.

2 comments:

  1. you are a real trooper,and you have my respect

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the land was not posted, you were not breaking any laws. It is polite to ask the landowner, but not a requirement. Many landowners are hard to get a hold of and that doesn't impede your access.
    New Hampshire common law allows for private property be accessed for hunting and recreation as long as the area is not posted.
    https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/landshare/faqs.html (see fist item in the hunters section.)

    ReplyDelete