Saturday, December 26, 2015

Young Mountain * Young Mountain-East Peak: 12/26/2015

Mileage: 3.90 miles
Elevation gain: 1335 feet
Trails used: none. bushwhack, ATV/snowmobile trail.
Highlight(s): register on the summit of Young Mountain, slight views from Young Mountain-East Peak, old cars/relics.


Originally I had planned to do Square Ledge and possibly Mount Paugus, and I started up the Big Rock Cave Trail only to start having some slight chest pain and a massive headache. I sat down for a bit and decided I didn't want to risk anything on a lengthy hike so I decided to head back down to the car and look for something else easier. After taking a few Advil, I headed back down the road to do a bushwhack. I felt much better at this point. Wise choice or not, I threw on a coat and headed off.

Young Mountain and Young Mountain-East Peak are located in Sandwich, New Hampshire. Young Mountain has an unofficial trail that runs to its wooded, view-less summit but to reach the east peak requires a bushwhack (if coming from Young Mountain). You can use ATV/snowmobile trails to reach the high point for Young Mountain-East Peak, if coming off of Bennett Street, where there are slight views from the summit area. 


I headed into the woods directly behind the parking area at the end of Bennett Street.


It was fairly steep and the woods were newer regrowth forest from extensive logging done in this area recently and in the past, but easy to walk through.


The views through the trees of Flat Mountain and Mount Whiteface on my way to the summit of Young Mountain.


Right below the summit of Young Mountain, I stumbled on this red blazed unofficial trail that runs up to the summit.


The jar register on the summit of Young Mountain (elevation: 1980 feet).


I dropped down steeply into the col between the main peak of Young Mountain and its eastern summit, walking through a wet area. I came across this ATV/snowmobile trail which I used to reach Young Mountain-East Peak.


The summit area of Young Mountain-East Peak (elevation:  feet). 


Views from a little ledge area on the summit of Young Mountain-East Peak looking towards Mount Shaw and the Ossipee Range.


Looking back towards the steep summit cone of Young Mountain as I walk down the ATV/snowmobile trail.


I followed the various snowmobile trails in the direction of Bennett Street, and came across a few old cars in the woods.




I followed the ATV/snowmobile trail through open woods back down to Bennett Street.


Preparing to do the half mile road walk back to the parking area with views of Sandwich Dome. What a nice day for a hike.


While I failed on my original hike, this one was pleasant and a nice bushwhack through open woods. It was nice finding the old car relics in the woods along the ATV/snowmobile trail and the slight views from Young Mountain-East Peak broke up a mediocre views hike. The weather was nice; not too cold and not too hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment