Saturday, November 7, 2015

Unity Mountain * Green Mountain (Claremont): 11/7/2015

Originally I was going to head into Vermont to hike Saturday, but I woke up and didn't feel like driving as far as I had planned. So, I looked for a few hikes to do in New Hampshire and headed out. It was going to be a cool day, and pretty breezy. It even rained slightly on my first hike.


Unity Mountain

Mileage: 1.05 
Elevation gain: 175 feet
Trails used: none. road walk, bushwhack.
Highlight(s): woods walk.


I had two hikes planned around the same area but I drove past the first hike I wanted to do, so I settled on Unity Mountain. I saw a road on some topographic maps that looked like I could make this an easy hike, and I was not disappointed when I found it. Although it is a class V un-maintained road, when its dry out you could probably drive in further than I did.

Unity Mountain is located in Unity, New Hampshire. I walked the road to the access road for some communications towers on a lower ridge of Unity Mountain, and then bushwhacked through open woods towards the wooded, view-less summit. 


I parked my car just after the house on Mica Mine Road, which turns into a class V road. I could have driven further in if not for that big puddle.


No Hunting signs along Mica Mine Road so, while i brought my hunter orange, I didn't wear it.


The wooded high point of Unity Mountain (elevation: 1873 feet). It was moose heaven up here as almost everywhere I stepped there were piles of moose poop. 


The hike to the summit of Unity Mountain (and back to the car) was a mixture of open woods and old logging cuts.


A quick mile round trip and I was back at the car. For my next hike, I had planned on doing a peak that was literally almost around the corner from where I was (Wilcox Hill) but upon arriving to where I wanted to start the hike, there were three trucks there and an ATV. I parked but immediately heard some gunshots, so that was that. I had my hunter orange on, but I didn't want to chance it. I still had another peak in mind for another hike.


Green Mountain (Claremont)

Mileage: 3.70
Elevation gain: 915 feet
Trails used: none. access road, atv trail.
Highlight(s): views from the access road, slight views from the summit of Green Mountain.


This hike I was going to attempt a few years ago in late winter/early spring but when I saw a truck sitting outside of the gate and two guys un-hitching a snowmobile, I figured they were heading up to the summit. I wasn't sure if they worked on the communications towers on the summit or not. While there are noted prohibitions on doing this hike, they do ask that no ORHV vehicles go up. 

Green Mountain is located in Claremont, New Hampshire and is the highest point in Claremont. There are three communications towers along the ridge of Green Mountain, accessed by an old logging road/atv road. There are views along the access road, and minor views from the first tower area, and on the summit of Green Mountain (if you hop on the rocks).


I started off parking off of Cat Hole Road, which is an ATV trail. I then headed up the access road towards the summit area of Green Mountain.


The Green Mountain access road was easy to follow as it switchbacked its way towards the summit of Green Mountain.


This is the third set of communication towers as I am nearing the summit of Green Mountain.


One of the three communications towers on Green Mountain, this one being on the summit. Mount Ascutney is in the background, with the Killington ski area behind it.


The summit area of Green Mountain (elevation: 2018 feet). The ledge behind this one is slightly higher so we will say that one is the high point.


The views of Mount Ascutney from a logging cut along the access road for Green Mountain. 



I wasn't feeling like doing any more hikes so I headed home early, which is somewhat rare for a hiking day. The foliage is long gone, and the impending winter weather will make itself known soon so I got in a few hikes that would be made a little more difficult with snow. There was no reason to do either of these hikes other than I felt like doing them.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, The VIEW signs sure help out. Talked with a landowner up there, seems decent, but very protective of his land (understandable). Sounds like he just wants everyone to respect the land and the signs. The Keep Out sections in particular (just wants his own private area on his land which I can certainly understand).

    ReplyDelete