Saturday, November 21, 2015

Ore Hill (Warren) * Sentinel Mountain: 11/21/2015

Mileage: 6.55 miles
Elevation gain: 1345 feet
Trails used: Ore Hill Trail/Appalachian Trail, bushwhack, forest road, old woods road.
Highlight(s): Appalachian Trail, register on the summit of Sentinel Mountain.


I had a short section of the Appalachian Trail left to do, and then I would have from the New Hampshire border to Mount Wolf done. So it was a good time as any to chip away at this section. It was going to be a nice day for a hike; cool temperatures with no rain/snow and sunny. Fall is definitely the perfect time to hike. Putting on my blaze orange, I headed across the street and headed up the trail.

Ore Hill and Sentinel Mountain are located in Warren, New Hampshire. The Ore Hill Trail/Appalachian Trail crosses over the wooded, view-less summit of Ore Hill. The wooded, view-less summit of Sentinel Mountain is reached by a mixture of trails, wood roads, and a lengthy bushwhack.


The start of the Ore Hill Trail/Appalachian Trail off of Route 25C. I parked across the road from the trailhead and then headed up the trail.


Hiking up the Ore Hill Trail/Appalachian Trail through open woods as I near the summit area of Ore Hill.


The summit of Ore Hill (elevation: 1854 feet), which is slightly off of the Ore Hill Trail/Appalachian Trail.


The Ore Hill Trail/Appalachian Trail continues along this section of an old woods road.


After a few wet sections of the Ore Hill Trail/Appalachian Trail, you pass alongside this beaver pond area.


I hit the height of land before the Ore Hill Shelter and began the roughly 1 mile bushwhack towards the summit of Sentinel Mountain through open woods.


The pill bottle register on the summit of Sentinel Mountain (elevation: 2180 feet).


Open woods as I head back down towards the Ore Hill Trail/Appalachian Trail.


Eventually I made my way down to an old logging road turned into forest service road and used it to make my way towards the Ore Hill Trail/Appalachian Trail.


Unfortunately, I did not do all of the roughly 5 miles I needed to do between Route 25A and 25C so there is a small section I need to do from the Ore Hill campsite, Cape Moonshine Road and towards Route 25A (or vice versa). Finding the old Ore Hill mine area was a neat find but I do believe it is still technically off limits, per the Forest Service. Where I came out of the woods, there was no signs for no trespassing so I didn't linger. Otherwise, a quick walk in the woods on a nice fall day.

1 comment:

  1. That's not a beaver pond. It's an excavation from the Ore Hill Mine.

    ReplyDelete