Saturday, August 8, 2015

Corporation Mountain (VT) * Round Mountain (VT): 8/8/2015

Mileage: 5.6
Elevation gain: 2215 feet
Trails used: none. logging roads, bushwhack.
Highlight(s): open woods bushwhack, register on the summit of Corporation Mountain, register on the summit of Round Mountain.


Desi was on call for work this weekend so I decided I was going to go into Vermont and do a few solo bushwhacks. Brian and I tried doing both these peaks last winter but due to the deep soft snow we gave up a short ways into the hike so this was to be my redemption hike. The worst part of doing this hikes is the long drive but it was going to be a nice day temperature wise so how could I pass this one up. The drive in to where I would start this hike on Corporation Road was a bit rough, but I managed to find a spot to park and gear up.

Corporation Mountain and Round Mountain are located in Chittenden, Vermont. There are no trails that go to the wooded,view-less summits of Corporation Mountain and Round Mountain so it requires a bushwhack to reach both peaks. There are various logging roads you can use to help make your way up towards the summit ridge.


Corporation Mountain and Round Mountain are on the Vermont One Hundred Highest List, the Vermont Two Hundred Highest List and the Vermont 3K List.




I parked at the end of the drive-able portion of Corporation Road and started up an old logging road that looked like it had some ATV use recently.


The wide open woods as I head up towards Corporation Mountain.


It got a little steep as I headed up to the summit of Corporation Mountain but with hardly any bad woods to worry about, it was not a big deal.


Me on the summit of Corporation Mountain (elevation: 3142 feet) complete with register.


Nice open woods while walking the ridge line between Corporation Mountain and Round Mountain, as I head towards Round Mountain.


There were numerous herd paths on the ridge between Corporation Mountain and Round Mountain, so it was a quick hike between the two peaks.


In my haste to pack up the register (it was soaked with water since someone didn't tighten the lid) from Round Mountain (elevation: 3342 feet), I forgot to take a picture of me on the summit. I took a picture looking back towards the summit area though, still in nice woods.


One of the many old logging roads that dot the area, which made this bushwhack easier.


I only had to cross Chittenden Brook today which was easy to hop across. 


I was going to continue on to Round Mountain-East Peak and then to Little Wilcox Mountain making a nice little loop of the area, but since I didn't have my compass on me and my GPS was on the fritz I decided against it in case it stopped working completely. Plus, I had a lack of energy today so it was a good decision to cut the hikes short. If you like woods walks of some length, this bushwhack is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment