Monday, April 11, 2016

Ames Mountain: 4/11/2016

Mileage: 4.30 miles
Elevation gain: 1480 feet
Trails used: none. roadwalk, bushwhack.
Highlight(s): register on the summit of Ames Mountain.


I had an appointment in the afternoon so I decided to check out a few peaks in Wentworth, New Hampshire mainly because I was informed a full moose skull and rack were found here a day or two prior, so while I was going for the summit I would be doing a quick check in the area for any more antlers. I didn't want to spend too much time out in this area due to the rain and wind but using a bulk of a recent logging road to reach the summit area was too enticing to pass up. Worst case I wouldn't be in the woods long enough to get soaked from the rain.

Ames Mountain is located in Wentworth, New Hampshire. There are no trails that go to the wooded, view-less summits of Ames Mountain so it requires a bushwhack to reach its high point. There are ledges around the summit of Ames Mountain which could provide views.


I parked at a gated logging road off of East Side Road in Wentworth and took it almost all the way to the summit of Ames Mountain.


The logging road was still in relatively good shape, as it passed by more recent logging cuts.


With recent ATV tracks and this fire ring below the summit of Ames Mountain, it looks like it gets some use from the locals. Sadly, there were no views today due to the rain though.


The jar register on the summit of Ames Mountain (elevation: 2060 feet).


I started the descent towards Currier Hill, which is close by but seems so far away.


I decided to head back down as soon as I made it here in between Ames Mountain and Currier Hill, mainly due to the cold rain/drizzle.


While the rain wasn't coming down hard, it was drizzling enough to make it on the cool side and uncomfortable for hiking for too long. Hence the reason I bailed off of Ames Mountain and decided not to go to nearby Currier Hill, which is a bummer since it is a nice open area to explore. I will have to go back when the weather is nice and use the same route I took to get up to the summit of Ames Mountain with a slight variation.

No comments:

Post a Comment