Saturday, January 9, 2016

Mount Kineo-East Peak: 1/9/2016

Mileage: 6.7 miles
Elevation gain: 1980 feet
Trails used: snowmobile trail, bushwhack.
Highlight(s): open woods bushwhack, canister on the summit of Mount Kineo-East Peak.


I would be heading out solo today and I wanted to do a bushwhack since snow conditions remained on the light side. It has been a crazy first few weeks of winter proper as temperatures and conditions have been all over the spectrum. There was more snow in the area from earlier in the week when Desi and I tried hiking up to Mount Kineo so I would be using some of the snowmobile trails in the area to help me reach the summit of Mount Kineo-East Peak.

Mount Kineo-East Peak is located in Ellsworth, New Hampshire. There are no trails that go to the wooded,view-less summit of Mount Kineo-East Peak so it requires a combination of snowmobile trails and a bushwhack to reach its high point.


Mount Kineo-East Peak is on New Hampshire 200 Highest List.



At a snowmobile interesection (155 North), I took a picture of the snowmobile trails in the area for future reference for hikes in the area.


I picked the direct route through open woods, at times steep, and headed directly towards the ridge to the west of the summit of Mount Kineo-East Peak.



I came out of the woods right around this research station and took the snowmobile trail across the ridge for the short bushwhack to Mount Kineo-East Peak.


Me on the summit of Mount Kineo-East Peak (elevation: 2981 feet).


The recently used snowmobile trail I used to reach the summit of Mount Kineo-East Peak and my return trip back to the car.


Buzzell Brook was still flowing as I made the hike out on the snowmobile trail back to my car.


It was a rather quick hike up to the summit of Mount Kineo-East Peak as the snow was firm and easy to walk on. This would make the second time I had been to this particular peak and first time in winter. It was almost serene walking in the woods with no sounds of the outside world going on. It started snowing a bit while I was on the ridge line going to and from the summit area but it wasn't bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment