My Pages

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Mount Kineo-East Peak (NH) *1/9/2016*

Mount Kineo-East Peak

Location: Ellsworth, New Hampshire
Mileage: 6.7 Miles
Elevation Gain: 1980 Feet
Trails Used: Snowmobile Trail, Bushwhack
Views: None, Wooded Summit
Difficulty: Moderate
Hiking Lists: NH 200 Highest


Today was set for a solo bushwhack, and with light snow conditions, it felt like the perfect day for it. The first few weeks of winter have been wild, with temperatures and conditions swinging all over the place. Earlier in the week, when Desi and I attempted to hike up Mount Kineo, there was more snow in the area, so I planned to use some of the snowmobile trails nearby to help me reach the summit of Mount Kineo-East Peak.


At snowmobile intersection E (155 North), I snapped a photo of the trails to keep on hand for future hikes in the area.


I took the direct route through the open woods, sometimes steep, heading straight for the ridge west of Mount Kineo-East Peak’s summit.


I emerged from the woods near the research station and followed the snowmobile trail over the ridge for a quick bushwhack to Mount Kineo-East Peak.


A canister sits atop the wooded summit of Mount Kineo-East Peak, standing at an elevation of 2,979 feet.


I followed a snowmobile trail to reach the summit of Mount Kineo-East Peak and then took the same route back to my car. It looked like it had been used by snowmobiles recently.


Buzzell Brook flowed gently as I hiked back to my car.


The hike up to the summit of Mount Kineo-East Peak was quick, with firm snow making for easy walking. This was my second visit to the peak, but my first time in winter. Strolling through the quiet woods, free from the noise of the outside world, felt almost serene. Light snow began to fall as I made my way along the ridge to and from the summit, but it wasn’t bothersome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment