Owls Head
Location: Dorset, Vermont
Mileage: 4.16 Miles
Elevation Gain: 1327 Feet
Trails Used: Hawk's Pass Trail, Gettysburg Quarry Trail, Dorset Trail
Views: From Arts Bench Overlook, Kevin's Viewpoint, Gilbert Lookout
Difficulty: Moderate/Hard
Hiking Lists: None
It was the second and final hike of the day after tackling Mother Myrick Mountain earlier. The temperature and humidity had been rising, and I was definitely feeling it after the 8-hour, 2,300-foot elevation gain from the first hike. The drive from there was short, maybe just 15 minutes. Along the way, I passed the Dorset Marble Quarry, the site of the first marble quarry in the U.S. and now a popular swimming spot. Once I arrived and found the nearly full parking lot, I grabbed my backpack and set off.
I parked at the Hawks Pass Trailhead off Raptor Lane and followed the half-mile Hawks Pass Trail to reach the start of the hike in Owls Head Town Forest.
The hike to Owls Head and the surrounding quarries officially begins at the parking area for the Owls Head Town Forest.
Surrounded by old foundations and quarries, I followed the former service road, now transformed into the main trail.
I turned at this junction to make my way toward the Middle Prince Quarry area.
I think this is the Middle Prince Quarry, since the Klondike Quarry doesn’t have a trail leading to it. Such a cool area that I wish I’d had more time and energy to explore.
Arts Bench Overlook, easily the best view of the day.
The view from Arts Bench Overlook stretches toward the majestic Mother Myrick Mountain and the towering Equinox Mountain.
The history of the Gettysburg Quarry area was an interesting read. I should have visited the quarry dump area, but perhaps I'll save that for another time.
The Gettysburg Quarry site is fascinating. I’ve visited a few other quarry sites on this side of the state, and I find their history to be on par with the old logging railroads.
The Dorset Trail is an old section of the path that leads to the top of Owls Head and its scenic outlooks.
Another glimpse of Mother Myrick Mountain, Mount Equinox, and Antone Mountain, seen through a brief opening in the trees along the Dorset Trail.
It was pretty much a steep straight up climb to the summit of Owls Head. I felt every bit of the elevation gain on my way up.
Just below the summit of Owls Head, the trail winds around the base before climbing steeply to the top.
The wooded summit of Owls Head stands at 2,474 feet. I didn’t have the energy to make it to Kevin’s Viewpoint or the Gilbert Outlook, which I’ve read offer incredible views on a clear day.
And with that, the day was done. I turned around and headed back down but made a little loop of the hike and saw another quarry area. It was nice out not but I had little energy to do anything else so it was time for the two hour drive home. Note, the Owls Head Town FOrest also has mountain biking trails, some of which connect with the hiking trails so always be cautious of your surroundings.
No comments:
Post a Comment