My Pages

Monday, August 24, 2026

Mount Monadnock (NH) Redlining August 24th, 2026

 Monte Rosa - Mount Monadnock - Kiasticuticus Peak

Location: Jaffrey, New Hampshire
Mileage: 5.4 Miles
Elevation Gain: 1537 Feet
Trail(s) Used: Toll Road, White Arrow Trail, Fairy Spring Trail, Monte Rosa Trail, Smith Summit Trail, Amphitheatre Trail, Pumpelly Trail, Red Spot Trail, Smith Connecting Trail, Lost Hedgehog Trail, Sidefoot Trail, Do Drop Trail
Views: From summit of Monte Rosa, 360 from summit of Mount Monadnock, From summit of Bald Peak
Difficulty: Moderate
Hiking List(s): New Hampshire 3000 Footers, New Hampshire 200 Highest 52 With a View, New Hampshire Town High Points, Monadnock 50 Finest


I had a few trails left to redline in the Old Toll Road area of Mount Monadnock, so today was the perfect day to finish them off. Amy had wrapped up all the trails over a month ago, so I felt it was time to get mine done too. I decided to squeeze in the hike before working Monday night, and the weather couldn’t have been better. I reserved a parking spot the night before, so I knew I’d have a guaranteed space. When I got there around 8:30 a.m., I was only the second car in the lot. I checked in, parked, got ready quickly, and began my road walk.

Mount Monadnock is said to be the third most hiked peak in the world, following Tai Shan in China and Mount Fuji in Japan. It stands as the highest point in Jaffrey, New Hampshire, as well as in Cheshire County.


Trekking up the Old Toll Road for roughly 1.2 miles feels like the hundredth time.


This short section of the Old Toll Road becomes the White Arrow Trail, leading to the site of the Old Halfway House.


The site of the Old Halfway House, which burned down in 1954, offers a great view of Mount Monadnock's summit.


I kept going straight along the Fairy Spring Trail, making my way toward Monte Rosa.


Along the Fairy Spring Trail, you’ll come across the site of Fassett’s Mountain House, a shelter where Mr. Fassett once sold refreshments to hikers making their way to the summit of Mount Monadnock.


The Fairy Spring site was nearly bone dry despite the recent rain. It has the potential to be a great water crossing when there's plenty of water.


The final steep, rocky ascent leading to the summit views on Monte Rosa.


A panoramic view looking south from the summit of Monte Rosa at an elevation of 2,500 feet.


Looking up at the summit of Mount Monadnock while hiking away from Monte Rosa.


I turned here onto the Amphitheatre Trail, one of the few I still needed to complete in the southern section of Mount Monadnock.


Looking down into the Amphitheatre along the Amphitheatre Trail, you’ll find Black Precipice nearby, the mountain’s largest vertical cliff and a popular spot for rock climbers.


It’s interesting how the rock striations resemble writing or hieroglyphs.


Glancing back at Monte Rosa, a rocky outcrop just south of the main summit, as I make my way toward the peak of Mount Monadnock.


Tackling the final steep stretch of the White Arrow Trail as it winds toward the summit of Mount Monadnock.


I’ve reached the summit of Mount Monadnock, standing at 3,170 feet. This marks my eighth time conquering this peak, with the first back in 2009 when I began hiking.



A few views from the summit of Mount Monadnock. I was the only one there at the time, a rare occurrence for this peak. Having been here many times before, I didn’t linger long for photos.




I found all three summit benchmarks at the top of Mount Monadnock. It can be tricky to spot them all with the usual large crowd gathered up here.


A zoomed-in photo captures people gathered at the summit of Mount Monadnock. I imagine it got busier after I left, judging by the number of cars in the parking lot when I finished.



A collection of photos capturing views of Mount Monadnock’s summit from the Smith Connecting Trail, the final trail I needed to complete on the mountain’s west side.


I decided to hike down the Lost Hedgehog Trail, just off Kiasticuticus Peak. I didn’t stop to take pictures since there was a decent-sized group of hikers relaxing there.


Although not an official trail, the Lost Hedgehog Trail is steep but surprisingly pleasant and has seen its share of foot traffic.


Once back on the Old Toll Road, it was a quick walk down to the car, without seeing another person the entire way. With those trails finished, I now have just four left to complete every trail on Mount Monadnock: Pumpelly Trail, Spellman Trail, Cascade Link, and a small section of the Parker Trail. It was a beautiful summer day on the peak, and the lack of crowds was a pleasant surprise.




No comments:

Post a Comment