My Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Ayers Pond Peak - Ayers Pond Peak-Northwest Peak (NH) *3/13/2016*

Ayers Pond Peak - Ayers Pond-Northwest Peak

Location: Bradford/Washington, New Hampshire
Mileage: 3.60 Miles
Elevation Gain: 1295 Feet
Trails Used: None. Roadwalk, Bushwhack
Views: None
Difficulty: Easy/Moderate
Hiking Lists: None


I’d done a three-peak hike the day before on Saturday, but with Sunday’s forecast looking nice, I asked Desi if she wanted to go for a hike somewhere fairly close to home. Well, maybe not exactly a typical hike—more like hiking in and then bushwhacking to two or three peaks in the area. I figured the woods wouldn’t be too bad if we ended up bushwhacking for over a mile, since I’d been here several times before and knew there had been extensive logging in recent years. It’s about a 20–30 minute drive from the house to where we’d start the road walk and then head into the bush, and the weather was sunny and comfortably mild for a beautiful March winter day.


We pulled over along Old Mountain Road and strolled up, scouting for a good spot to start the bushwhack toward Ayers Pond Peak.


The open woods stretch out below as we continue our walk along Old Mountain Road.


We followed an old logging road up to the col between Ayers Pond Peak and its Northwest Peak.


As we climbed the old logging road, I glanced back to snap a picture of Mount Kearsarge through the trees.


Still making our way toward the summit of Ayers Pond Peak, keeping an eye out for a good spot to begin the bushwhack to the top.


I’m slipping into the trees as we make our way toward the summit of Ayers Pond Peak.


The open woodland between Ayers Pond Peak and its Northwest Peak.


Strolling around the summit of Ayers Pond Peak, looking for the highest point and the register.


The wooded summit of Ayers Pond Peak, standing at 2,103 feet, holds a jar register.



Once back in the col, we take on a moderately steep climb through open woods, heading toward the summit of Ayers Pond Peak’s Northwest Peak.


As we climbed higher, I glanced back at the view of Ayers Pond Peak.



This was as dense as the woods would get as we approached the summit of Ayers Pond Peak–Northwest Peak.


Here I am, signing the summit register at the wooded top of Ayers Pond Peak—Northwest Peak, perched at an elevation of 2,048 feet.


We step into the open woods, starting our descent toward the old logging road, then continue down to the car to wrap up the day.


This one wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, as we were able to use one central old logging road to access both peaks plus the woods were open enough not to be a problem. Thus, we found the high points for both peaks relatively easily. Once we were back on the old logging road it was a quick road walk back to the car.

Ayers Pond Peak is the highest point in the town of Bradford, New Hampshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment