Indian Pond Mountain
Location: Orford/Piermont, New Hampshire
Mileage: 2.75 Miles
Elevation Gain: 790 Feet
Trails Used: None. Road Walk, Bushwhack
Views: None, Wooded Summit
Difficulty: Easy/Moderate
Hiking Lists: None
I took Friday off to go on a few hikes, and once again, I had a handful of peaks in mind but not much motivation to tackle more than one or two. When choosing hikes, I look for peaks that are nearby—sometimes it works out, other times I have to come up with a backup plan. I end up spending a lot of time driving around to find legal access to certain trails, so if I manage one or two hikes in a day, I consider it a win. I packed just enough cold-weather gear to get through the day and skipped bringing my backpack, since both hikes were short and mostly followed roads.
My first hike took a bit of a drive, but I lucked out with access since it only required a road walk and a short bushwhack through open woods. I drove to a junction where the road turned into a class V or VI—usually meaning you can’t get far without a 4WD or it’s not maintained in winter. From there, I strapped on my Microspikes and headed down the ice-covered road toward my planned bushwhack, passing several houses along the way that were still occupied, even in winter.
I walked up Piermont Heights Road, which is only open to vehicles during the summer. A few houses line the road, explaining the tire tracks.
I left the road and climbed steeply up to a recent logging cut, enjoying views of nearby Piermont Mountain.
This is the densest the woods get on this hike as I approach the flat summit of Indian Pond Mountain.
The high point of Indian Pond Mountain stands at 1,967 feet. The summit is relatively flat, with several bumps that could each be the true highest spot.
Coming down from the summit of Indian Pond Mountain, I came across a moose antler. I ended up taking nearly the same route back to the car as I had on the way up.
I reversed course and headed back down the way I came up. On the way down, I found a decent sized moose antler so I decided to haul it out since it wasn't that heavy so I could give it to my friend Keith. I got back to the car, threw my gear in the back and began the drive to the next hike which was a fair distance from my first hike.
Lake Constance Mountain
Location: Piermont/Haverhill, New Hampshire
Mileage: 3.30 Miles
Elevation Gain: 900 Feet
Trails Used: None, Road Walk, Bushwhack
Views: From Cabin on Lake Constance Mountain
Difficulty: Easy/Moderate
Hiking Lists: None
I’d like to say the drive to my next peak was just around the corner (and maybe it looked that way on the map), but it still took about 30 minutes to get from the first hike to this one. I passed the road I’d take up to my next peak, which I know hunters use during hunting season, along with people heading to Lake Constance to fish (I saw tracks going that way). Once I arrived and parked at my destination, I strapped on my Microspikes and started up the road toward the summit.
I parked along the side of the road off Route 25C and followed a logging road through the forest up toward the summit of Lake Constance Mountain.
The view toward the summit of Lake Constance Mountain was stunning. Around this point, I turned onto an old logging road and began my climb to the top.
I’d take a few old logging cuts to make my way up to the summit of Lake Constance Mountain.
This small patch of moderately dense woods marks the approximate high point of Lake Constance Mountain, at an elevation of 2,056 feet.
From just below the summit of Lake Constance Mountain, the view stretches toward Piermont Mountain, with the majestic Smarts Mountain rising behind it.
The view from the hunter’s cabin just below the summit of Lake Constance Mountain stretches out toward Mount Moosilauke, Mount Jeffers, and Owls Head.
The little hunter's cabin sits just below the summit of Lake Constance Mountain.
I followed the road from the summit of Lake Constance Mountain, but unsure of where it led, I ended up bushwhacking back down to nearly where I’d first started my ascent. Apparently, there’s a trail (ohn Wolter Trail) that reaches the summit, though I’m not exactly sure where it begins. I’ll have to look into it so I can come back, as the hike was a pleasant surprise with its views and relative ease. Indian Pond Mountain.












The John Wolter trail is named after my dad
ReplyDeleteLook at granite backcountry alliance- there are now backcountry skiing trails cut for goading!