Stairs Mountain-East Peak
Location: Sargents Purchase, New Hampshire
Mileage: 10.55 Miles
Elevation Gain: 4250 Feet
Trails Used: Davis Path, Stairs Col Trail, Bushwhack
Views: Views from Ledges Below Mount Crawford
Difficulty: Moderate/Difficult
Hiking Lists: None
The first day of winter seemed perfect for a hike. I had taken the day off about a month ago, as Brian and I planned to tackle a peak or two for the start of the winter season. Brian ended up having a family emergency, which actually worked out for him since the forecast predicted heavy rain in New Hampshire by midday. My plan was to hike up the Davis Path, head to Stairs Mountain-East Peak first, then backtrack to Stairs Mountain, and finally reach Mount Resolution. The only concern was the bad weather, which I hoped to avoid. After gearing up quickly, I set off toward the Davis Path to begin my long day of hiking.
I parked at the Davis Path Trailhead, quickly geared up to outrun the looming rain, and made my way down the road to start the hike.
You cross the Bemis Bridge over the Saco River and continue on toward the beginning of the Davis Path.
The Saco River is running pretty low for this time of year, with no sign of ice yet.
The Davis Path trail kiosk greets you as you enter the Presidential Range–Dry River Wilderness.
This rock stair section along the Davis Path seems to grow longer and more impressive every time I hike it.
A steep stretch of the Davis Path leads to some ledges just below the summit of Mount Crawford.
From the ledges just below Mount Crawford’s summit, you can take in sweeping views of Mount Hope, Bear Mountain, Bartlett Haystack, and Mount Tremont.
From the ledges just below Mount Crawford’s summit, there are stunning views stretching toward the Attitash Ski Area and Mount Parker, with the ski slopes notably bare of snow.
Walking along the Davis Path, I glanced back and snapped a photo of Mount Crawford’s summit. The rain was still holding off, but from this point to the Stairs Col Trail junction, I began to come across patches of snow and ice.
From the ledges just below Mount Crawford’s summit, the view toward Crawford Notch is stunning, with rain clouds slowly rolling in.
Looking back at Stairs Mountain while descending the Stairs Col Trail.
I made my way down the Stairs Col Trail, where the snow was deepest, until I reached the spot where I would begin bushwhacking toward the summit of Stairs Mountain’s East Peak.
The woods along the bushwhack were fairly open at first, but began to close in as I approached the summit of Stairs Mountain–East Peak. Right about then, the rain started to fall.
The canister register sits atop the summit of Stairs Mountain-East Peak, at an elevation of 2,985 feet. With new LIDAR data, this peak no longer meets the 200-foot prominence required for the NH 200 Highest list.
Heading back up the Stairs Col Trail while the pouring rain turns the snow into slush.
I made my way back down in a steady, sometimes heavy, rain and reached the stream crossing, which was only a little higher than when I first crossed.
I considered sticking to my plan and climbing the two other peaks I had in mind, but the steady rain and cooler temperatures were starting to soak through my clothes. With nearly four miles left to walk back to the car and a pretty bad leg cramp setting in, the decision wasn’t hard. Once I reached the car, I blasted the heat to warm up and dry off before making the long drive home.
















No comments:
Post a Comment