My Pages

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Young Mountain - Young Mountain-East Peak (NH) *12/26/2015*

Young Mountain - Young Mountain-East Peak

Location: Sandwich, New Hampshire
Mileage: 3.9 Miles
Elevation Gain: 1335 feet
Trails Used: None. ATV/Snowmobile Trail, Bushwhack
Views: Ledge Views on Young Mountain-East Peak
Difficulty: Moderate
Hiking Lists: None


I had originally planned to hike Square Ledge and possibly Mount Paugus, starting up the Big Rock Cave Trail, but soon felt some mild chest pain and a pounding headache. I took a break and decided not to risk a long hike, so I headed back to the car in search of something easier. After taking a couple of Advil, I drove down the road and opted for a bushwhack instead. Feeling much better by then, I threw on a coat and set off, whether it was a wise choice or not.


I walked into the woods just beyond the parking lot at the end of Bennett Street.


It was fairly steep, with the woods consisting of newer regrowth forest from extensive logging both recently and in the past, but still easy to walk through.


Catching glimpses of Flat Mountain and Mount Whiteface through the trees on my way up to the summit of Young Mountain.


Just below the summit of Young Mountain, I came across a red-blazed unofficial trail leading up to the top.


The jar sits on the wooded summit of Young Mountain, at an elevation of 1,986 feet.


I descended steeply into the col between the main peak of Young Mountain and its eastern summit, passing through a damp area. There, I found an ATV/snowmobile trail that I followed to reach Young Mountain’s East Peak.


The summit of Young Mountain’s East Peak has an elevation of 1,529 feet.


From a small ledge near the summit of Young Mountain’s East Peak, the view stretches out toward Mount Shaw and the Ossipee Range.


Glancing back at the steep summit cone of Young Mountain while making my way down the ATV and snowmobile trail.




Following the snowmobile trails toward Bennett Street, I stumbled upon a few old cars hidden in the woods, relics from a bygone era.


I took the ATV and snowmobile trail through the open woods, heading back down to Bennett Street.


Getting ready for the half-mile road walk back to the parking area, with beautiful views of Sandwich Dome. What a perfect day for a hike.


While I failed on my original hike, this one was pleasant and a nice bushwhack through open woods. It was nice finding the old car relics in the woods along the ATV/snowmobile trail and the slight views from Young Mountain-East Peak broke up a mediocre views hike. The weather was nice; not too cold and not too hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment