My Pages

Friday, June 12, 2026

Thompson Hill - Murdough Hill - Little Thompson Hill (NH) *6/12/2026*

Thompson Hill

Location: Hillsboro, New Hampshire
Mileage: 4.8 Miles
Elevation Gain: 1388 Feet
Trails Used: Wenny Baker Trail, Bushwhack, Road Walk
Views: None. Large cairns and rock walls
Difficulty: Moderate
Hiking Lists: None


After working the overnight shift on Thursday, I was surprisingly alert, so I decided to squeeze in a quick hike Friday morning. I left work, drove home to grab my gear, and headed straight to the trailhead. I’d been to Thompson Hill once before, back in June 2015. I got ready fast, since the bugs were already swarming. Rain was in the forecast the whole time, but it held off until I finished. The humidity was intense, and the bugs stuck around for the entire hike.


The trailhead parking area for the Wenny-Baker Forest and the trail to Thompson Hill is located off County Road in Hillsborough, with space for just two or three cars.


The Thompson Hill Trail begins gently, but the steep climb soon takes over, and combined with the high humidity, it made for a bit of a challenge today.


The Thompson Hill Trail leveled off around this point, so I slowed my pace to cool down as I hiked toward the summit.


 The area is full of rock walls, and this stretch follows the Thomson Hill Trail.


An intriguing rock cairn appears as you approach the summit of Thompson Hill.


The true summit of Thompson Hill, at 1,780 feet, is reached by a short herd path from near the viewpoint in the summit area. On a clear day, you can enjoy views of Pats Peak Ski Area and even Mount Monadnock.


I didn’t take any more pictures after this point, as the rest of the hike from Murdough Hill to Little Thompson Hill was a loop bushwhack through scrappy woods and steep terrain. With swarms of blackflies and mosquitoes and bad weather rolling in, I decided to bag the two peaks quickly and get back to the car before the rain hit.

Thompson Hill, the tallest spot in Hillsborough, New Hampshire, sits within the scenic Wenny-Baker Forest.



No comments:

Post a Comment