My Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Mount Kineo (NH) **5/22/2016**

Mount Kineo

Location: Ellsworth, New Hampshire
Mileage: 4.45 Miles
Elevation Gain: 1520 Feet
Trails Used: Mount Kineo Trail, Bushwhack
Views: None, Wooded Summit
Hiking Lists: NH 200 Highest/NH 3000 Footers


I had Wednesday off and went for a hike, but I worked yesterday so I couldn’t. On Sunday, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to hike or just stay home. If I did go, I was looking for something relatively easy, and after some planning, I settled on Mount Kineo. I’d done the hike and bushwhack there about five years ago, and it’s a great spot for moose sightings and exploring off trail. My goals for the day were to hike the section of the Mount Kineo Trail up to the height of land, reach the summit, and keep an eye out for moose antlers along the way. The weather was looking good with just a slight chance of rain, which sounded comfortable, but the bugs were intense, so I’d have to move quickly.


I took a side road off Hubbard Brook Road that usually leads to the Mount Kineo Trailhead, but two fallen trees blocked the way. So, I ended up walking 0.2 miles from where I parked to reach the trailhead.


Starting from the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest side, I’d begin my hike on the Mount Kineo Trail, follow it up to the height of land, and then bushwhack through open woods to reach the summit of Mount Kineo.


The Mount Kineo Trail was moderately steep but easy to navigate, with occasional blue blazes marking the way. There were several wet spots along the route, and the bog bridges, unfortunately, were a bit worn and in need of repair.


I came across a game camera along the Mount Kineo Trail, which is used to monitor wildlife in the area.


The woods opened wide as I started the bushwhack to Mount Kineo’s summit. Moose scat was scattered all over the summit ridge, as shown in this picture.

 
The canister and weathered sign sit atop the wooded summit of Mount Kineo, standing at an elevation of 3,311 feet.


Rather than taking the same route down, I headed northeast through open woods, making my way back to the Mount Kineo Trail.


While bushwhacking down from the summit of Mount Kineo, I stumbled upon the final resting place of a moose, marked only by scattered hair and bones.


I came across a really old, gnawed-on moose antler and not much else. The area is clearly moose-heavy, with scat scattered everywhere and plenty of herd paths. I didn’t spot any other animals or people until I was driving out on Hubbard Brook Road. The black flies were out in force, swarming even more whenever I stopped or got back to the car. Still, it was just as enjoyable a hike and bushwhack as my first time on Mount Kineo.

Mount Kineo is the highest point in the town of Ellsworth, New Hampshire and is located in the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest.

1 comment: