Mount Kineo
Location: Ellsworth, New Hampshire
Mileage: 4.45 Miles
Elevation Gain: 1520 Feet
Trails Used: Mount Kineo Trail, Bushwhack
Views: None, Wooded Summit
Hiking Lists: NH 200 Highest/NH 3000 Footers
I have done the hike/bushwhack to Mount Kineo once before about five years ago, and it is an awesome area for moose and bushwhacking. I had a few objectives for the day: hike the section of the Mount Kineo Trail to the height of land, go to the summit of Mount Kineo, and look for moose antlers along the way. The weather was going to be nice with a slight chance of rain (which would make the day comfortable) but the bugs were out in force so I would need to do this rather quickly.
I drove up this side road off of Hubbard Brook Road that normally takes you to the Mount Kineo Trailhead but was stopped by two trees blocking the road. So, I had to walk 0.2 miles from where I parked to the trailhead.
The beginning of the Mount Kineo Trail on the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest side. I would start my hike on the Mount Kineo Trail to the height of land and then bushwhack in open woods to the summit of Mount Kineo.
The Mount Kineo Trail was moderately steep and easy to follow. Occasionally you see blue blazes, and there were quite a few wet areas with bog bridges that have seen better days sadly.
I hiked by this game camera that was right along the Mount Kineo Trail, which they use to monitor wildlife in the area.
Wide open woods as I begin the bushwhack to the summit of Mount Kineo. There was moose scat everywhere on the summit ridge, as you can see in this picture.
The canister and aged sign on the wooded summit of Mount Kineo, elevation 3311 feet
Instead of using the same route down, I decided to head northeast through open woods all the way back to the Mount Kineo Trail.
On the bushwhack down from the summit of Mount Kineo, I came across the last resting spot of a moose which consisted of hair and bones.
Mount Kineo is the highest point in the town of Ellsworth, New Hampshire and is located in the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest.








Very cool!
ReplyDelete