Ames Mountain
Location: Wentworth, New Hampshire
Mileage: 4.30 Miles
Elevation Gain: 1480 Feet
Trails Used: None, Road Walk, Bushwhack
Views: None, Wooded Summit
Hiking Lists: None
After an afternoon appointment, I decided to explore a few peaks in Wentworth, New Hampshire, having heard that a full moose skull and rack had been discovered there recently. On my way to the summit, I figured I’d do a quick search for any more antlers. I didn’t want to spend too much time in the rain and wind, but the opportunity to use most of a newly cut logging road to reach the top was too tempting to pass up. Worst case, I wouldn’t be out in the woods long enough to get soaked.
I parked by a gated logging road off East Side Road in Wentworth and followed it almost all the way to the summit of Ames Mountain.
The logging road was still in decent shape, curving past newer logging clearings as it headed toward the summit of Ames Mountain.
Recent ATV tracks and a fire ring just below the summit of Ames Mountain suggest it’s a popular spot for locals. Unfortunately, the rain today obscured any chance of enjoying the views.
The jar register sits on the wooded summit of Ames Mountain, at an elevation of 2,066 feet.
I began the descent toward Currier Hill, so near yet still feeling so far away.
I decided to head back to the car as soon as I arrived between Ames Mountain and Currier Hill, mostly because of the cold rain and drizzle.






No comments:
Post a Comment