Bald Sunapee
Location: Newbury, New Hampshire
Mileage: 1.35 Miles
Elevation Gain: 680 Feet
Trails Used: None, Bushwhack
Views: From Logging Cut on Summit Ridge
Difficulty: Easy/Moderate
Hiking Lists: None
With spring in full swing, this was shaping up to be another after-work hike on Wednesday. I’d had my eye on this one for a while. There wasn’t much information online, so I studied the map and picked the exact route I wanted to try. There’s a private trail that, from what I’ve read, can be hiked if you know where it begins and ends. Otherwise, it would mean bushwhacking through mostly open woods to reach the summit.
I entered the woods just off Mountain Road, and they stayed pretty much the same all the way up. Along the climb, I even crossed an old logging road or two.
This was probably the densest part of the woods on the hike, and it’s really not even that bad.
I began making my way toward some steep ledges, where a few small caves dotted the area.
On the ridge, it felt almost like a trail, which you can just make out in the bottom center of the picture. Hikes like this are hard to complain about.
Holy open blowdown field, Batman! It looks like a windstorm just swept through here.
Panoramic views stretch out below the summit of Bald Sunapee.
A damp spot on the summit plateau shows signs of recent moose activity.
The wooded summit of Bald Sunapee rises to an elevation of 2,079 feet.
On the way down, I came across a wooden bridge that bordered someone’s property. There were white blazes on some trees marking a private trail, but I didn’t follow it for long.
It was a quick walk down the road back to my car, and it ended before I knew it.
A pleasant short hike through open woods, though the black flies were out in full force, making it a relief to get back to the car despite having plenty of bug spray. Spring has definitely arrived! Just a heads-up, there are some private trails on this mountain that seem to be open for use, but please remember to respect the property as always.











No comments:
Post a Comment