My Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Mount Kancamagus (NH) *1/19/2014*

Mount Kancamagus

Location: Livermore, New Hampshire
Mileage: 6.6 Miles
Elevation Gain: 1960 Feet
Trails Used: Livermore Trail, Bushwhack
Views: None
Difficulty: Moderate
Hiking Lists: 
NH 3000 Footers/NH Hundred Highest/NH 200 Highest/NH 300 Highest



Kris asked if I wanted to join him for a hike just a day after Brian and I had tackled South Baldface and Sable Mountain, and I agreed without hesitation. He was looking for something with moderate distance and a good amount of elevation, so since he needed Mount Kancamagus, that’s what we settled on. Driving north through light snow gave us a preview of the day’s conditions—snow squalls and low visibility would be the norm.

This was my second time on the peak, so I remembered how beautiful the woods were. We found a plowed spot along the Kancamagus Highway to park, got our gear ready, and set off.



The Livermore Trailhead now begins at a logging road and landing just off the Kancamagus Highway, where it links back up with the Livermore Trail. Light snow was falling up to this point.


A faint snowshoe track from the previous day’s hikers lingered, but most of the day was spent trekking through fresh powder.


  Kris was up ahead breaking trail, and I was more than happy to let him. I was still sore from the previous day’s hike and bushwhack to South Baldface and Sable Mountain.

 
This section of the Livermore Trail is pretty steep and involves some side-hilling, which can be tricky in snowshoes. It also cuts right through a drainage leading into Livermore Pass.

 
We began the bushwhack near the high point of Livermore Pass, and the snow started falling a bit harder as we made our way toward the summit of Mount Kancamagus.


  The hike up the ridge to the summit offers mostly open woods and an abundance of snow.

 
On the plateau leading to the wooded summit of Mount Kancamagus, at an elevation of 3,729 feet, the path offers a serene approach. At the summit, there are no sweeping views, only the quiet beauty of snow-laden trees all around.


The summit canister on Mount Kancamagus.


On the hike out along the logging road, the snow started falling even harder, and we were definitely relieved to reach the car and warm up.


Overall, the day was a lot of fun, except for the hike down from the summit. I ended up veering slightly off the route we took going up and wandered into a beautiful snowy fir blow-down area. From there, we found ourselves in an open, glade-like gully or drainage that led us back to the trail. On the way down from the summit, I also came across another moose antler, bringing the total number of moose sheds found so far this year to five.

Although hiking and bushwhacking in the snow can be a hassle, it was enjoyable trekking with Kris, and he managed to conquer an easy bushwhack peak, so all is well. Winter will eventually pass, and the easier hikes will begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment